Your Frequently Asked Questions
Who created and owns Whisky Journal?
Whisky Journal was built by an independent app developer from Australia - Matt Mcnamee. Matt continues to maintain, build and release new features.
Does Whisky Journal cost anything?
No. Whisky Journal is completely free for you to use.
Are there any ads in Whisky Journal?
We hate traditional online ads as much as the next person. We don't display any traditional in-app ads.
We do however, offer Content Promotion to relevant partners.
For example we would allow Johnnie Walker to promote a new whisky on the app homes screen. However we wouldn't show an intrusive popup ad for toilet paper.
Why the Facebook Login?
Facebook authentication provides a simple mechanism for new and existing users to sign in with a familiar username and password. It means that you don't need to create and remember a new username/password.
We also use Facebook login, to find out which of your friends are using Whisky Journal - to then show those users to you on the Friends screen within the app.
What information of mine, are you getting from Facebook?
We request the following information from Facebook, for each user signup/login:
- Email (in case we need you)
- List of Friends who are also using Whisky Journal (to link you guys up in the app)
- Are you of drinking age? (Facebook will deny login if not)
- Current profile image (to show your friends in the app)
I signed up with Facebook and one of my Facebook friends recently joined Whisky Journal. Why can't I see them in my friends list in Whisky Journal?
Whisky Journal only connects with Facebook at one time - when you login with Facebook. After login, we disconnect from Facebook for security and privacy purposes.
So for you to see your Facebook friend, simply logout, then log back in with Facebook (which downloads all of your latest details - including any Facebook friends who use Whisky Journal).
I made a mistake on account signup. How can I update my account details (eg. name, email...)
A basic feature we know, but an account update feature hasn't yet been implemented into the app.
Until we build the feature, we're more than happy to update it for you.
Simply send us a message on the feedback form and we'll update it for you!
I added a Whisky, but made a mistake...
If you've created a Whisky entry yourself, you're able to go back at any time and edit the details you've added by:
- Locating and tapping on the Whisky within your journal (eg. is it in tasted, or perhaps favourites?)
- Tapping on 'View/Update Review' - if you created the whisky, there'll be the original/additional fields for you to edit
- Then just hit Save to update
How do I delete a Whisky I created?
If you've created a Whisky and would like to delete it - it's as simple as:
- Locating and tapping on the Whisky within your journal (eg. is it in tasted or perhaps favourites?)
- Tapping on 'View/Update Review' then tapping the 'Delete Review' right down the bottom
- This will then redirect you back to the Whisky screen - simply remove it from your Favourites, Tasted, Wishlist etc - you then won't see it again
What's the "People also Love" section, seen on each whisky?
This feature aims to help you find whiskies that you may enjoy and broaden your tastebuds.
The "People also Love" section is automatically generated based on whiskies that fellow users have rated highly or favourited.
For example, if User X gives a 5 star rating to Whisky Y and also to Whisky Z, there's a high chance that Whiskies Y and Z will be featured in each other's "People also Love" sections. There's of course other more complex factors which play into this algorithm (like number of users and star ratings per link) - but that's the overview!
Over time, with more users signing up and rating whiskies, this section will become more and more valuable and be used on more whiskies.